Monday, February 27, 2017

First Day and Influence Map



Had my first class for Digital Fundamentals, with Tim McBernie at CDW Studios, Adelaide.

One of our first homework items is to create an Influence Map - sort of like a inspiration board.

The idea is to really think about not only which artists we consider an influence for our work, but creative works (in any medium) that have inspired us to do what we want to do.

After much digging through my childhood and various creative loves of mine I put together my own Influence Map.







So again, the wonderful thing about this exercise is that it really makes you think about why and what you want to do. For me, it helped sum up why I want to be a digital artist and author.

I hadn't realised, until completing an Influence Map just how obvious it was that my influences are heavily entrenched in character design, world building and story telling.

Sure, it "should" have been obvious, but having a visual aid like this really helps identify my past passions and influences as well as current artists and styles that I like.

The artists/creators featured are Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli, (Studio Topcraft for "The Last Unicorn"), Don Bluth, Kentaru Miura, Phobs, Chiara Bautista,Sandra Chlewinska, Hideaki Anno, Masamune Shiro, Cedric Peyravernay, Apricot Knight, Haivenaims, Iiya Kuvshinov.

While compiling these artists and their work together I have discovered that there are a lot of common themes. (who'da thunk it)

This Influence Map showcases work that is:

  • highly character driven
  • involve well developed and often leading female characters
  • develop worlds that are immersive and rich in lore that is often based on real world folk lore, legends and cultures
  • take real world lore and or technology, re-imagine it, mix it up and present it in fantastical ways
  • emotional and thought provoking storytelling  
  • predominantly comic/cartoon line and design style

These characters, their worlds and their stories have left a lasting impression in my life and has strengthened my desire to create memorable characters and worlds of my own.

If you would like to try creating your own Influence Map, you can find the template I used here.








1 comment:

  1. It's funny how things aren't in the forefront of your mind and then when you start writing it down you're like "of course, that's so obvious". Looks like you're off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete